Thursday
2024-03-28
12:40 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS Main | WW1 or WW2 mod? - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » American Conquest » Modding » WW1 or WW2 mod?
WW1 or WW2 mod?
HWKStonewallDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 10:31 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Users
The Hawks club has always believed that a realistic WW1 or WW2 mod would be impossible to create. However, I have been thinking about this and I think it is actually not impossible. There are solutions to many of the main problems.
-As far as I know, there is no way to make airplanes remotely realistic in AC. The solution is to simply NOT include airplanes. I think it is worth it to sacrifice airplanes to have a WW1 or WW2 mod.
-It is also physically impossible to have rotating tank turrets. The solution is, again, to not include them. Tanks can just face wherever they shoot.
-People have said that if a WW1 battle was made, nobody would want to attack because of heavy casualties. However, heavy casualties usually resulted because commanders made mistakes such as overestimating the effect of artillery bombardments. Attacking armies can use artillery, assault troops with grenades, and other units to reduce casualties.
Please give your opinion on this. Do you think a WW1 or WW2 mod would be possible?

LionheartDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 4:07 PM | Message # 2
Private
Im sorry to say I think the AC engine just isnt capable of recreating either WW1/WW2 to a satisfying gameplay level. However Maybe in some way Cossacks 2 might be able to do so, if instead of using large formations you used smaller ones and then somehow expanded the size of the maps.
But then again if you want to enjoy WW2 in style just acquire Company of Heroes and download any good looking mod!

Not to mention you could probably convert COH into a playable WW1 mod.

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 5:35 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Administrators
I'm going to have to agree with Lionheart on this one.
Although it is possible, it would be too difficult to implement a lot of the WW1 & WW2 features without affecting game play and possibly even making game play frustrating.
OSS is actually in the process of making a WW2 mod for American Conquest, he has made some really nice models and even has a few units in the game, he has been on holidays for a while so I am not sure on the progress of it all, here are some screens:

I would suggest contacting him to see how he is going with it or wait until he returns to the forums.

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Saturday, 2011-09-10, 6:05 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
HWKStonewall can you post some more details of what you might have in mind, I am always willing to lend some assistance, but would be good to have more info on what you may have planned.

HWKStonewallDate: Sunday, 2011-09-11, 3:43 AM | Message # 5
Lieutenant
Here is a full explanation. biggrin
Currently, I am working on a mod for the mid 19th century wars in Europe, mainly the Franco Prussian War but also later the Crimean War, Italian Independence Wars, Austro Prussian War, Schleswig Wars, etc. When I finish this, I would like to make a WW2 or WW1 mod, preferably WW2.
Here is how WW2 gameplay would work.
-In most battles, there will be various infantry, artillery, armor, and other misc. stuff such as supply vehicles.
-There will be no deathmatch/economy because it just wont make sense.
-One side attacks and tries to capture strategically placed objective flags.
-Massing to many infantry together in a small area will cause massive casualties and fear, so it should be avoided.
-Players can use infantry and armor to attack, so the defender will try to set up an effective defense as well as countering the enemy armor with anti tank infantrymen or their own armor.
-Even though the weapons of the time were very accurate, they will be very inaccurate (machine guns in particular) in the mod to make casualty rates realistic.
-Example units: Rifle, Sub Machine gun, light machine gun, heavy machine gun, sniper, officer
-Example Nations: Britain, Germany, Russia, US, Italy, Japan, France
-It would be good if infantry can throw grenades when ordered but I am not sure how. Would it be possible to make them throw grenades when you click attack ground? I need help on this.

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Sunday, 2011-09-11, 12:57 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
Having captureable flags can be done no problems, you can also do buildings in the same sense, for example a communications centre if captured and helped wins the game, or another strategic building.
You can also add machine gun posts, pill boxes and such, they would be no different to Towers from Cossacks in terms of setting them up.
Can I suggest for weapon accuracy, don't make them all inaccurate, set the weapons up as they were realistically, for example have your sniper accurate and powerful, but very slow to reload (a sniper is known for this, has he first has to aquire a target, aim and then shoot at the right moment) so set the sniper rifle up that way, next you have machine gun infantry that are accurate close range, but have no long range effectiveness, mortar infantry fire mortars at range but close up have nothing, flame throwers are only good close up, that way you have troops that will have benefits and non benefits and this is important to make using different troop types very important, it would be the difference between winning and losing, otherwise whats the point of having different troops if they are all similar and have similar features and strenghts, you may as well just send them all into combat.
Officers add morale and strengths to units the same as in the original American Conquest

I have explained in your other thread about how you add grenade abilities to units: http://swordandarrow.ucoz.com/forum/3-48-1

HWKStonewallDate: Sunday, 2011-09-11, 7:05 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant
Thanks for your ideas, I think I will use them if I make this mod. The main thing I don't want is for many units to be gunned down very rapidly. I like it better when units are hard to kill. I have a few questions.
-I heard that in the DN engine, trees give defense bonus. The HEW and HDN mods use this by making defense dots. These would be good for a WW2 mod, but it would be mad to place them all over a map. Instead, would it be possible to make negative defense dots that you place in open fields, streets, beaches, etc?

-If I make a two-man mortar crew, should it be an artillery unit or an infantry unit?
-I think that it would be good if I included mines. Defenders can use mines to block or channel enemy movements to some extent. I think maybe mines can be non moving units that actively "attack" enemy units with an explosion when the enemy unit is right on top of it. The only problem is that I don't know how the mine itself will be destroyed in the process.
-In HEW, there are units called limbers which carry slow moving cannons. However, the process of loading them is particularly complicated. Would it be possible to make tanks and halftracks that carry units (preferably with a simple loading process)?
-I know how to make buildings, but I don't know how to make a building's ruins. It seems like a very tedious process creating all of the pieces of charred rubble.
-Actually, I thought of an interesting way to somewhat include airplanes. I don't know if this is possible, but maybe an airfield can shoot out a projectile, which is actually an airplane, which flies over the target, drops a bomb, and keeps flying off the map.

Message edited by HWKStonewall - Tuesday, 2011-09-13, 5:52 PM

Forum » American Conquest » Modding » WW1 or WW2 mod?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Free web hostinguCoz