Friday
2024-04-26
11:34 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS Main | Scripting? - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » American Conquest » Modding » Scripting?
Scripting?
HWKStonewallDate: Saturday, 2011-09-17, 10:40 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Does anyone know C++ scripting or know anyone who does? I have heard that almost anything is possible in a mod when you can modify it with scripting. One of our mods, HDN, is heavily based on scripting, which has allowed things such as mixed formations, reforming troops, literally generating whole armies from spreadsheets, scenario battles, etc. [HWK]Garnier, the author of HDN, knows a lot of C++. He also made a small mod called BTS, which is a different style game loosely based on the 30 years war. He never made any units, so he just reorganized the units from FB. Some of the features include recruiting whole formations (which is really cool), game points, and strategic objectives that grant game points. I once wanted to learn scripting but it is a very complicated process, and I can't be sure that I will be able to produce something useful afterwards. Here are some wild ideas that might or might not be possible with scripting.
-On a certain battle, each side starts with an HQ. They can deploy whole formations out of the HQ and position them on the field. Obviously, the different types of troops will be limited separately.
-This can be useful for "campaign" style gameplay. After a battle, all of a player's surviving formations are recorded somehow by scripting and appear on the next map (in HQ)with full strength. -If all of this is possible, you can create an extremely interesting and fun way to play. You can have 2 sides with castles as HQs. Each side recruits armies and sends them to fight field battles. The side that gains an advantage tries to besiege and capture the enemy castle.

Message edited by HWKStonewall - Saturday, 2011-09-17, 10:42 AM

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Sunday, 2011-09-18, 12:18 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Administrators
Programming is something you would have to learn if you would wan't to utilise it, a lot of programmers out there that do it for a full time job, the last thing they wan't to do is do more programming in there spare time, that's why it is best to find someone who does it for a hobby and is willing to help out a little, or learn it yourself as a bit of a hobby, it can be quite fun and rewarding when you get the results you are looking for.

MarshalDate: Thursday, 2013-05-16, 6:21 AM | Message # 3
Private
Hi, I'm new to modding and would like to know what I would have to change to make the staff for the different formations bigger?
What I want is an officer, two standard bearers along with a drummer and fife player.  I learning to use C++ and am willing to go through the extra trouble to make it work!  Please help me!  Thanks in advance.

Marshal Andre Massena

1st Duc de Rivoli, 1st Prince d'Essling, Marshal of the Empire, Marshal André Masséna

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Saturday, 2013-05-18, 7:29 AM | Message # 4
Colonel
Adding extra staff to a formation shouldn't be too difficult, have you seen the modding documentation here: http://swordandarrow.ucoz.com/index/lst_files/0-41 might be a good start.

MarshalDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-29, 5:49 AM | Message # 5
Private
Marshal

Ok so, I would have to work with the ORD_GROUPS.LST no?  Also, what would I have to do to bring in the Cossacks II graphics?  I think they beat acfb graphics by a long shot. 

Oh, and how are things going with your mod?  I really like what I have seen so far, it reminds me of AoE II.

Marshal Andre Massena

Added (2013-05-29, 5:49 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Well, I guess while I wait, I would like to say that I want experience modding, so if you can allow me to help and learn by taking me under your wing I truly will appreciate it!

1st Duc de Rivoli, 1st Prince d'Essling, Marshal of the Empire, Marshal André Masséna

Fallen_KNiGHT_ACDate: Friday, 2013-06-07, 4:50 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
You would need to do more than just the ORD_GROUPS.LST more likely you would also have to modify the source code to get your extra units in the formations.

MarshalDate: Friday, 2013-06-14, 7:54 PM | Message # 7
Private
What source code would that be?

Forum » American Conquest » Modding » Scripting?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Free web hostinguCoz